Request an Authenticated Document
Diploma and Transcript Authentication
The Hague Convention says an "apostille" is a document such as a diploma or transcript legalized or authenticated for foreign use.
When you use a document in a foreign country, it may be necessary to authenticate the document with specific language, notarization or certification. Foreign countries often require documents to be authenticated before the documents will be accepted in the foreign jurisdiction. An "authentication" certifies the signature and the position of the official who has executed, issued or certified the document.
Basic Apostille Information
The apostille ensures that public documents issued in one signatory country will be recognized as valid in another signatory country. The sole function of the apostille is to certify the authenticity of the signature on the document; the capacity in which the person signing the document acted; and the identity of any stamp or seal affixed to the document.
Some countries require further authenticity of the apostille by the Secretary of State. Information regarding instructions for apostille authentication through the Illinois Secretary of State.
You may choose one of two options for pickup or delivery of your authenticated transcript and/or diploma:
- Authenticated documents may be picked up by the student or their authorized designee at the Office of Registration and Records, Williston Hall 214, NIU Main Campus in DeKalb, Illinois.
- An authorized designee must be listed on the NIU Authentication Request Form and a photo ID will be required to pick up documents in person.
- NIU will mail authenticated documents to the student or the student's authorized designee at the address provided on the NIU Authentication Request form.
If you are outside of the United States, we will mail authenticated documents directly to the Illinois Secretary of State for apostille authentication service and forwarding to you. You must provide the following by mail to Northern Illinois University, Registration and Records Authentication Request, 1425 W Lincoln Hwy, DeKalb, IL 60115-2828 or deliver to Registration and Records, Williston Hall 214, DeKalb Campus.
- A separate completed Illinois Application for Authentication for each document for apostille
- Single money order or cashier's check payment for all documents for which apostille is requested (currently $2 per document) and,
- Self-addressed, stamped return envelope or shipping label. When using prepaid Express Mail, Priority Mail, Federal Express, UPS or Airborne Express please include a prepaid bill receipt from that carrier. The envelope or shipping label may be addressed to the applicant or a third party.
- Please note that diplomas should be mailed in heavier-duty mailers that are 9" x 12".
Read FAQ about requesting an Apostille.